Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Trains, Cows and Lottery tickets


It's a 12 hour train ride from Moscow to get to Cheboksary, and one of my first thoughts looking out the window was "Russia has nature?" Almost all of the time I've spent in Russia has been in Moscow and St. Petersburg, so when I think of Russia, I think of huge cities. I don't think of rolling hills, or forests, or fields stretching as far as the eye can see. I mean, there were cows. And I'm still in the same time zone as Moscow.

An overnight train ride might not sound like the ideal way to spend the first night in a new country, but after so many hours on planes, I was ecstatic at the opportunity to sleep horizontally. I didn't get a picture of the compartment, but this image is pretty much exactly what it looks like. The top of the seats fold down to turn into a bed, and there's unlimited hot water for making drinks at a samovar down the hall. A train attendant comes around selling food, drinks and lottery tickets (I bought a couple 10 ruble ones, but it just wasn't my lucky day).

No comments:

Post a Comment